Pages

Sunday 30 August 2009

Long time, no see....

...and so on. Hope everyone has had a great summer! Summer has gone by so quickly, with a trip to England and France, and a little time at the summer house. Hardly any quilting, though. Aside from the place mats in my previous post, I have only one finish and no other stitching to show. So what's this finish? Remember this post? What was jumbled up in that second picture was these blocks:



It's a 18" Dresden Plate, four 12" blocks (Batchelor's Puzzle, Bear's Paw, Castle Wall and Mill Girls), four 6" blocks which were my picks for the SBS block of the week program for June (Lemoyne Star, Fool's Puzzle, Weathervane and Sarah's Choice), and sixteen blocks from the DJ.

I set the blocks very simply with some white spacers, and some large HST units in a pale blue and white creating a diagonal effect:



I ended up with a piano key border, both because I think they are pretty, and also because I didn't have any large pieces left to use for a solid border, and I didn't have the time to go shopping for the perfect one :o)



This quilt was made as a present for my best friend on her 30th birthday, and I wanted it to be warm and snuggly for those chilly London winters, so for a backing I chose a very soft flannel. The flannel was slightly stretchy and a bit hard to quilt, and I wanted to preserve the soft feel - so I did a rather sparce all over meandring.

I gave her the quilt when I went over at the end of July - and she was thrilled :o)

Hugs and stitches from
Anne Ida

29 comments:

Elin said...

I can well imagine she was thrilled...this is beautiful! Glad to have you back on blog, thank you for the day in June!

Tone Yvonne said...

Hei, hei, hei!! :O)

Har savnet deg!!!!!

Så fint teppet ble. Håper at hun ble fornøyd????

Sees snar :o)

klem

Rhonda said...

Oh Anne Ida, that quilt is fabulous! This is a great way to use blocks of various sizes...I love it! Great job!!!!!

Laila said...

Ikkje rart mottakaren var nøgd. Denne quilten var kjempelekker. Ser god ut også :)

paulette said...

WOW!! This quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! Well done, Anna! Your friend HAD to be thrilled!
Take care!
Paulette

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Quiltpassion.blogspot.com said...

A very beautiful quilt, your friend must be proud on you.
Quiltgreetings, Cisca

Lise in Norway said...

Teppet ble kjempe lekkert

Gudveig HN said...

Klart hun ble glad for dette - det er jo kjempelekkert!

Unknown said...

It is nice to hear from you. What a great idea to put those blocks together in a quilt, it looks beautiful.

Trisha said...

I love the how the pictures show the steps the quilt was made in. So fun to see it come together! I love how it turned out and I love the piano key border. What a lucky friend!

jofridsquilt said...

Kjekt å ha deg tilbake. Dette teppet var berre så nydelig. Ytterborden passa perfekt. Helødig venninne. Helsing Jofrid

Anne Heidi said...

It is beautiful! She will treasure your lovely gift forever! Good to see you back blogging :-)

Annelies said...

Welcome back Anne Ida.
What a beautiful quilt !

sjoko said...

This looks soooo nice. Congratulations with a wonderful quilt :o)

Sigrun said...

Nydelig!

May Britt said...

Good to have you back in blogland.
The quilt is georgious and I know your friend was thrilled having it.

Teresa said...

Well of course she was thrilled - the quilt is lovely. It has a soft, delicate look that is so feminine. Very nice work!

LeKaQuilt said...

Det er en kjempe fin quilt - skjønner godt at hun var fornøyd :o) Kjekt å se at du er tilbake!

Days and colors said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend! It does look warm, cozy and snugly! Nice to hear from you again!

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely quilt.........lucky friend......

Rose Marie said...

This is wonderful ..... great setting for all those various blocks!

Julie said...

Anne Ida, I've missed reading your posts, but I have not updated my blog in 100 years.

This quilt is fabulous, as all your work is, I really love the pastels, it feels very summery and will brighten your friends days once winter comes. Julie in NH

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is beautiful - a great setting for those little blocks.

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Quilten din ble bare kjempelekker! Du er virkelig flink med disse blokkene :o)
Ha en kreativ søndag:o)

Christine said...

Hi Anne Ida. I love the quilt you made for your friend ... she is sooo lucky.
Christine

Sue said...

What a BEAUTIFUL quilt! I'm sure your friend was just thrilled!

May Kristin said...

So that's where your DJ blocks went! LOL! Beautiful! I love the way you put it all together! No wonder your friend was thrilled!

Susan said...

That is one lovely quilt.