Pages

Friday 10 August 2007

Is it just me...?

I’m so thrilled with all the sweet comments on me finishing my SBS blocks! Thank you so much, everyone!!! I have tried to reply to those who have registered e-mails, and to the rest I hope you read this thank you!!!

Over the last couple of nights I’ve been working on sashing the blocks, and Rose and I have put our heads together to work out the borders. I’m soo pleased with what we have come up with! Thank you for helping me, Rose! The borders will take quite a lot of time and work, though, so don’t expect pictures of a finished quilt top in the nearest future :o)

Now over to something I need to get off my chest (sorry Cindy, you have heard this already); I had a strange experience at work today. Like I said, we have been planning the borders for my SBS, and I went into the printer room to pick up a sketch for a border block. The girl in the next office was there and had picked up my page. When I entered she looked at me and asked if I was quilting (a q not expected among my colleagues!). Happy that someone actually came up with such a direct question, and apparently understanding what that drawing actually was for, I said yes and asked what relationship she had to quilting - and if she is a quilter! Know what she replied? "Yes, she had been doing a bit of quilting back when it was FASHIONABLE!" This is a woman my age – around 30! Is it just me who gets offended by comments like this? Have you ever had someone throw something like that at you? I was so taken aback that I didn’t get to ask her what she meant by it, and what time she supposed that quilting had been fashionable? I have not seen as many quilters around as I do now! My comfort is that she can’t have enjoyed it very much (even though I can’t see why not!) seeing as she has let what she thinks of as a fashion trend steer her to it/away from it! I just feel a bit hurt! Like someone has just kicked my pet, or something…

Anyway, a post without a picture is boring, so I figured I show you the quilt I have hanging over my bed - a quilt that is about 50" square:

Some Norwegians who read the magazine Familien might recognize this, seeing as it was a pattern in the summer 2001 issue. My whole family was at the summer house that summer. I was going to go to summer school in Cambridge in July and August, and the evening before my flight my Mom came up to me and showed me the pattern for this quilt. Need I say more? Luckily I had brought some fabric with me - don't remember what I had intended to use it for! That night I sat in dim light on my bunk bed cutting out the pieces for the Dresden Plates - using scissors, this was before I bought my first rotary cutter! I had all of them cut by morning and in a plastic bag ready to take with me. Somehow I managed to stitch together all nine of them in the five and a half weeks I spent in England (English Paper Piecing, of course!); sitting in the beautiful garden behind Pepys library with a group of squirrels running around me - a lovely memory :o) Finishing the quilt on the other hand, took me... uh-hum... five years... It was a flimsy from the winter 2001 until the summer 2006! Who says I don't finish my UFO's..?? *lol*

Sincerely,
Anne Ida

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne I do feel for you, with that comment. Being 50 I can remember when quilting was "fashionable", but that would have been before she was out of nappies (diapers).....lol... Don't take it personally, she obviously just doesn't appreciate everything that goes into making a quilt or the friendships that are formed, what a shame as she's missing out on so much.
I love your Dresden Plate hanging, stunning colours. If you need a new home for it, I'll send my address (s).

~Bren~ said...

It is not just you...but don't let it ob you of you good day. I had to chuckle at the comment about how it felt like someone kicked your pet!
What would be a good response to someone who says something like that? Hmmmm something to think about.

Chookyblue...... said...

obviously she didn't really love quilting.....not like us and yes I think it is becoming more fashionable at the moment......can't work her out...I am smiggen older then you.....like the quilt you did work hard on that one cutting with out a cutter.....oh dedicated..
..do you want to join my christmas swap....

sewkalico said...

What a funny thing to say! Perhaps she doesn't have the obsessive-compulsive fabric and quilting disorder we all love and enjoy!!! I think once you get into quilting you are bitten by the bug and just enjoy it. And anyway, patchwork IS fashionable again, according to my local patchwork magazine the catwalks are full of trendy patchwork items.

What a pity that you didn't end up making a new quilting friend instead of someone making you unhappy. Luckily you have lots of blog friends who like your quilts and your posts!!

Judy H. said...

I am also a knitter, and knitting is starting to fall out of 'trendiness,' so I've gotten comments like this. I just comment that I do what I like rather than follow *trends*, putting a stress on the word to make it sound bad. Usually works. Puts people right in their place.

Tone Yvonne said...

It's not just you.... How rude (as jar-jar binx, star wars, would say) She does not have a clue as to what quilting is all about. Fashionable - yeah, right.... I hear Knitting is fashionable now - and no one has done that since angora sweaters in the 80's right??? Heirloom, is timeless either with fabric or yarn!! Never mind her ignorance, enjoy what you do, because you're very good at it!!!

Rose Johnston said...

Thats just rude!!! I dont understand how its not fashionable???? She should get out more and have a look at what people r doing!!! and anyway we love what we do, we have a passion for making beautiful things.........like that quilt!!!! Its gorgoues Anne, and i cant believe u cut them with scissors!!! but then i remember doing the same thing with my first quilt lol
Cant wait to see this border!!! Its going to be fantastic!!!!
Hugs xxx

Leigh said...

I am sorry your feelings were hurt by this tactless person, but I couldn't help see the funny side and have a giggle. It reminded of when the woman I work with said about 5 years ago that patchwork was the latest fad and would soon pass. Idiot!!
All I can say is there must be a lot of us out there who are very old fashioned!
I always say - Those that can, do. Those that can't do, criticise!

Anonymous said...

I have never had rude remarks concerning my quilting, but there are people that do not like it. There are other things that I don't like, so I do not mind.
I love the quilt you are showing us.

meggie said...

That quilt is so dazzling, it almost winks! I love it.
I didnt know that quilting had to be 'fashionable'?? How odd.

Christine said...

like my nail technician....

she wanted to know if I made quilts because I couldn't afford "real" bed linen.....

chris

Pam said...

That was certainly an odd comment to make. I wonder what point she was trying to make.

I had no idea that quilting was fashionable - and then became unfashionable.

Sounds like she just didn't really enjoy the hobby and doesn't have a "passion" for something and just does things becasue they are in fashion. Too bad for her.

Unknown said...

That silly person was probably a bad sewer! She could not make it and so had to give it up. Poor she!
We are not slaves to fashion, we make what we like and when we like!
The Dresden Plates are wonderful and without rulers, what an achievement!
I remember making my first quilt with pieces cut with scissors too.
Take care.

Floss said...

She doesn’t know what she is missing.
I also get turned off when people think all quilters are old.

Susan said...

How wonderful it is to enjoy quilting just for the sheer joy of the adventure instead of only doing what others consider "Fashionable". Must not have been the right artistic outlet for her......

I am thrilled for you to have finished your SBS blocks. And ashamed that I never even got one done to date.

Anonymous said...

It is funny to watch the cycles of crafts rise and fall, I did knitting and crocheting from when I was a child, and lots of needlepoint in the 70's--but hated counted cross stitch.
You can always say that you prefer to stay with something long enough to become an expert!
Becky
Rebecca955@aol.com

The Chicken Lady said...

Yea, I'm thinking maybe she tried and couldn't "get it" and now she's jealous! :) tee hee. If I lived there, we could be quilting partners and go shopping together and all that fun stuff! :)

Jeanne said...

I don't think quilting has ever been as popular as it is now. She might have meant to say the quilt revival. Maybe you can get her interested again. A challenge, perhaps? Very pretty quilt over your bed, too.